Thursday, January 10, 2008

Not Your Mother's Buckwheat

For a guy who loves to cook, I eat a lot of raw foods. Fruits, vegetables, uncooked seeds and grains, etc. I must confess, I have closely followed the raw food movement the last few years and to a certain degree I have drunk the Kool-Aid (or rather, the carrot juice).

Basically, raw foodists eat mostly or only foods that have not been exposed to high heat. The maximum acceptable temperature is usually around 120 degrees, because that's the point at which most enzymes are killed, not to mention many heat-sensitive vitamins. The rationale, in an untoasted nutshell, is that living foods nourish the body best. Denatured, processed, "dead" foods, including anything cooked, are thought to be inferior and even toxic.

One of the favored grains of many raw foodists is buckwheat. It is highly nutritious and gluten-free. Of course, it's not very tasty raw! But luckily, soaking buckwheat until it sprouts brings the dormant seed to life, increasing its nutritional profile and decreasing enzyme inhibitors.

I recently tried a product called Buckwheaties, which I found in a health food store, made by a company called Mom and Me. To buy this online, click here and scroll down a bit. Buckwheaties are simply raw, sprouted buckwheat that has been dehydrated at a low temperature. The good news: YUM!

Buckwheaties are crispy, light, nutty, and fun to eat. They go great on top of muesli, mixed into yogurt, or in all sorts of raw recipes. They are not to be confused with buckwheat groats, which are hulled, crushed and boiled. That sounds a lot more violent than "sprouted," doesn't it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved that picture. It reminds me of when you were a mere child. Never ate buckwheaties then.

Jeffrey Stock said...

I remember you, too. You kept all the Buckwheaties for yourself, despite my cries.

Anonymous said...

Anyhow, I use buckwheat every day -- it's in a pillow I microwave and use to keep my feet warm. San Francisco can get mofo cold.

Jeffrey Stock said...

Nice idea. But if you microwave it, I doubt that could still be a considered a "raw food"!